The Saved Sect Syndrome
As a result of the partisanship rampant in Madkhali ranks, it is common to make sweeping assumptions that all Muslims are deviants except for the handful of members who ascribe to their cult. This psychological complex can be termed “the Saved Sect Syndrome”, as it results from a very ignorant misuse of the hadith of the 73 sects. Al-Madkhali’s followers seem to think that the keys to membership of “the Saved Sect” lie in their hands, and consequently, the only “Salafis” are those rubber-stamped by them.
Hence, it is common to find from them questions such as the following:
Joined: Nov 2006
Joined: Nov 2007
Joined: Nov 2007
Read the following article by the late Sh. Muhammid Jamil Zino concerning the signs of the Saved Sect and decide for yourself, “Do Madkhali’s followers reflect these qualities?!”
THE SAVED SECT
1. Allaah says: “And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allaah (i.e., this Qur’an), and be not divided among yourselves.” Surah Aali-`Imraan [3:103]
2. And He says: “And do not be among the polytheists. Of those who split up their religion and became sects, each sect rejoicing in that which is with it.” Surat-ur-Room [30:31-32]
3. The Messenger of Allaah said: “I counsel you to have Taqwaa of Allaah and to hear and obey, even if an Abyssinian slave were to command you. For, verily, whoever amongst you lives (to grown old), he will see many differences. So stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided khaleefahs. Cling tightly onto it and hold onto it with your molar teeth. And beware of newly invented matters. For, indeed, every newly invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is a thing that leads astray, and everything that leads astray is in the Hellfire.” 2
4. And he also said: “Indeed those from before you from the People of the Book divided into seventy-two groups. And, indeed, this group (Muslims) will divide into seventy-three. Seventy-two groups will be in the Hellfire and one of them will be in Paradise. And it is the Jamaa’ah (group).” 3
And in another narration, he said: “Everyone of them in the Hellfire, except for one group that which I and my companions are upon.” 4
5. Ibn Mas’ood said: “The Messenger of Allaah drew a line for us and then said: ‘This is the Straight Path of Allaah.’ And he drew lines on the left and right of it, and then said: ‘These are paths of which there is not one except that there is a devil upon it calling towards it.’ Then he recited the statements of Allaah 5: ‘And verily, this is My Straight Path, so follow it, and do not follow (other) paths for they will separate you away from His path.” 6
6. Shaikh ‘ Abd-ul-Qaadir Al-Jeelaanee Rahimahullaah said: “As for the saved sect, then they are the Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. And there is no name for Ahl-us-Sunnah except for one and that is Ashaab-ul-hadeeth (those who stick to the hadeeth).” 7
7, Allaah, has commanded us to hold tightly onto the Glorious Qur’an, and to not be like the polytheists who divide their religion into sects and parties. And the honorable Messenger has informed us that the Jews and the Christians have divided into many sects, and that the Muslims will divide into more sects than them. And that these groups will subjected to the entrance into the Hellfire due to their deviation and their distancing away from the Book of their Lord and Sunnah of their Prophet. He also informed us that one saved sect from among them will enter Paradise, and it is the Jamaa’ah (group), those who cling tightly onto the book of Allaah and the authentic Sunnah, and the actions of the companions of the Messenger of Allaah.
O Allaah! Make us from among the members of the Saved Sect and give victory to the Muslims so that they may be from among them.
THE METHODOLOGY OF THE SAVED SECT
1. The Saved Sect is upon the methodology that the Messenger was upon in his life and the methodology of his companions after him. And that was (the following of ) the Glorious Qur’an which Allaah revealed unto His Messenger, and that which he explained to his companions by way of the ahaadeeth (narration’s) that have been authentically reported on him. And he commanded the Muslims to hold tightly onto the two, by his saying: “I left upon you two things of which you will never go astray after them: The Book of Allaah and my Sunnah. They will never be separated until they return to me at the Haud (the Pond).” 8
2. The Saved Sect returns to the Words of Allaah and the words of His Messenger at times of differing and controversy, acting upon the statement of Allaah, the Most High: “And if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it back to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is more suitable for final determination.” Surat-un-Nisaa’ [4:59].
And He also says: “But no, by your Lord, they can have no Eemaan (Faith), until they make you (O Muhammad) a judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.” Surat-un-Nisaa’ [4:65].
3. The Saved Sect does not put the speech of anyone before the speech of Allaah and His Messenger, acting upon the statement of Allaah: “O you who believe! Do not be forward in the presence of Allaah and His Messenger and fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.” Surat-ul-Hujuraat [49:1].
Ibn ‘Abbas said: “I fear that rocks from the heavens are about to descend upon you. I say to you: The Messenger of Allaah said, and you say: Abu Bakr and ‘Umar said.”
4. The Saved Sect gives importance to the Tawheed of Allaah. And that is the singling out of Allaah in terms of His worship, seeking of assistance, supplication at times of hardship and ease, scarifies, oaths, reliance, and other than that from the types of worship. It is the foundation by which the only correct Islaamic state can be established. And there is no doubt that the Shirk (association of partners with Allaah) that is currently present in the Islaamic states should be eradicated. This is because it is one of the requirements of Tawheed. Thus, victory will not come to any group that disregards Tawheed and does not oppose shirk and its types.
5. The Saved Sects revives the Sunnah of the Messenger in their act of worship, behavior and lifestyles. And due to this, they become strangers among their own people, as the Prophet has informed us would happen with his words: “Indeed Islam began as something strange and it will return to being strange as it began. So Toobaa is for the strangers.” 9
And in one narration, he said: “So Toobaa 10 is for the strangers those who correct others when the people have become corrupt.” 11
6. The Saved Sect does not become fanatical with the words of anyone, except for the words of Allaah and His Messenger, the one protected from sins and who do not speak from his own desire. As for other than him from among mankind, no matter how high his degree may be, then he is prone to error and sin. This is due to the statement of the Messenger: “Everyone of the tribe of Adam sins. And the best of the sinners are the ones who (constantly) make repentance.”12
Imaam Maalik Rahimahullaah said: “There is no one after the Prophet except that you may take and abandon from his statements, except the Prophet.”
7. The Saved Sect are the people of Hadeeth, of whom the Prophet said: “There will not cease to be a group from my ummah, dominant upon the truth. The ones who abandon them will not be able to harm them, until the decree of Allaah comes.” 13
A poet said: “The people of hadeeth are the people of the Prophet.”
8. The Saved Sect honors and respects the Scholars of Islam and they do not go extremities in following anyone among them. Rather, they take the understanding from the Qur’an, the authentic Sunnah and from all of the scholars statements as long as they are in agreement with the authentic narration’s and these are in agreement with their words. This is up to the point that they advise those that follow them to take from the authentic texts and to abandon any statement that opposes it.
9. The Saved Sect commands the good and forbids the evil. And so they forbid the evil of the innovator and the destructive groups that divide the ummah and innovate into the religion and into the Sunnah of the Messenger and his companions.
10. The Saved Sect calls the Muslims towards holding fast to the Sunnah of the Messenger and his companions until victory is prescribed for them and enter Paradise by the bounty of Allaah and the intercession of the Messenger after haven been given the authority to do so by Allaah.
11. The Saved Sect declares the evil of the conventional man-made law system which forces mankind to oppose the ruling system of Islam. They call the people to rule by the Book of Allaah which was revealed to aid mankind in this world and the next. And Allaah knows best what is correct for them. His rule is established and does not change through the course of days. And it is correct for the people of all times. There can be no honor for he Muslims except in their return to the studying of Islam, individually or in groups or through the governments, in accordance to Allah’s statement: “Verily, Allaah will not change the condition of a people, as long as they do not change it themselves.” Surat-ur-Ra’ad [13:11].
12. The Saved Sect calls the Muslims to the Jihaad in the way of Allaah and it is an obligation upon every Muslim who is capable and in the means of doing it. And the Jihaad should be in the following ways:
- A. Jihaad with the tongue and the pen. This is done by calling the Muslim as well as others to the correct form of Islam and the Tawheed of Allaah free from any form of Shirk such as that which has become widespread in many of the Muslim lands. And which the Messenger of Allaah informed us would occur admits the Muslims, by his saying: “The Hour will not be established until a tribe from my ummah joins the polytheists and until a tribe from my ummah worship idols.” 14
B. Jihaad with the wealth. This is done by giving money for the spreading of Islam and the publication of books of Da’wah calling towards the correct views. It should be done by the distribution of wealth to the authors who will then assists those, whose hearts are from among the weakest of Muslims so that it may strengthen them. It should be done by the manufacturing and the purchasing of weapons and equipment for the Mujaahideen (those who fight for the sake of Islam), and other necessary things such as food, clothing and things of that sort.
C. Jihaad with the body. This is done by fighting and joining in the battlefield for the purpose of giving victory to Islam, so the words of Allaah can be raised high, and so the words of the disbelievers can be put low. The Messenger has indicated these types of Jihaad, in His statement: “Wage Jihaad (fight/struggle) against the polytheists with your wealth, yourselves and your tongues.” 15
THE SIGNS OF THE SAVED SECT
1. The Saved Sect are the fewest among people. The Messenger supplicated for them with this statement: “Toobaa is for the stranger: A people who rectify (themselves and others) among people who are in much evil. Those who disobey them are greater in number than those who obey them.” 16
The Glorious Qur’an has informed us of them. Allaah, praising them, Says: “But few of My slaves are grateful.” Surah Saba’ [34:13].
2. The Saved Sect are the ones who a majority of the people hold as enemies. They are trodden upon and insulted by being given bad names. Consequently, they take the example of the Prophet of whom Allaah has spoken about, when He said: “And so We have appointed for every Prophet enemies; shayaateen (devils) among mankind and jinn, inspiring one another with adorned speech as a delusion.” Surat-ul-Ana’aam [6:112].
And this was the case with our Messenger. His people would call him a “magician” and a “liar” when he would call them to worship and believe in only Allaah, even though, before that they used to call him the “truthful” and the “trustworthy”.
3. Shaikh ‘Abdul ‘Azeez Bin Baaz Rahimahullaah was asked concerning the Saved Sect, so he responded: “They are the Salafiyoon and everyone who follow the footsteps of the Salaf-us_Saalih (The pious predecessors; the Prophet his companions and everyone who follows their methodology).”
These are some of the methodologies and signs of the Saved Sect, I will talk some more, in later chapters of this book, on the Aqeedah (belief/creed) of the Saved Sect, who are also known as the Victorious Group, so that we may be upon their Aqeedah, if Allaah wills.
WHO IS THE VICTORIOUS GROUP?
1. The Messenger of Allaah said: “There will not cease to be a group from my ummah dominant upon the truth. Those who abandon them will not be able to harm them until the Decree of Allah comes.” 17
And he said: “If the people of Shaam become corrupt, then there is no good in them. And there will not cease to be a group from my ummah that will be victorious. Those who abandon them will not be able to harm them, until the Hour is established.” 18
2. Ibn Al-Mubaarak Rahimahullaah said: “To me, they are Ashaab-ul-hadeeth.” 19
3. Al-Bukhaaree Rahimahullaah reported that ‘Alee Ibn Al-Madeenee said: “They are Ashaab-ul-hadeeth.”
4. And Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Rahimahullaah said: “If the victorious group is not the Ashaab-ul-hadeeth, then I do not who they are.”
5. Imaam Ash-Shaaf’iee Rahimahullaah said that Ahmad Ibn Hanbal gave a speech and said: “You are more knowledgeable of hadeeth than I am. So if a hadeeth comes to you, that is authentic, then inform me of it until that becomes my opinion, regardless of whether it be from Hijaaz, Koofah or Basrah.”.
1. Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zainoo is one of the contemporary scholars of Islaam. A student of Shaikh Al-Albaanee Rahimahullaah, he has written many valuable works on Islaam. This article is taken from a book containing a collection of short essays written by him which entitled “Essays on Islaamic Issues.” Another group of his essays from this book have been translated into English and collected in a book entitled “The Pillars of Iman and Islaam” published by Maktaba Dar As-Salam. This present article has been translated by Ibn Al-Arkaan.
10. It is said that Toobaa means something good. Allaah mentions this word in Surat-ur-Ra’ad of His final revelation ” Those who believe and do righteous deeds, Toobaa is for them and a pleasant destination.” Commenting on this ayah, Ibraaheem An-Nakha’ee said that it means good is for them. Qatadah said: “When a man says Toobaa for you it means you have attained something good. “Ikrimah and Mujaahid say that Toobaa means Paradise. It is also said that Toobaa is a tree in Paradise which the Prophet spoke of when he said: “Verily, there is a tree in Paradise under the shadow of which a rider can travel for a hundred years without covering (the distance) completely.” [Saheeh Muslim]
19. What is meant by Ashaab-ul-hadeeth are those who stick meticulously to the narration’s and the text of the Qur’an and the Sunnah. It does not refer to, as some might think, a people who restrict themselves to hadeeth only. Rather, Allaah calls His Qur’an by the word hadeeth in numerous ayaat in the Last Revelation (see 77:50, 52:34 and 45:6) Therefore the term Ashab-ul-Hadeeth, as known to the scholars of the past and present, referred to the Muslims who clung onto the text of the Qur’an and the Sunnah. It also refers to the scholars of hadeeth; those who study the science of hadeeth.